Riverside built a 2-1 lead in doubles on Friday and then split the singles to edge SBCC 5-4 and spoil the women's tennis opener at Pershing Park.
Kelly Coulson, the Vaqueros' No. 1 player from San Marcos High, won her doubles and singles matches. She combined with former Royals' teammate Maura Mannix to beat Maxelle Bernie and Torrey Mateljan 8-4 in the No. 1 doubles. Coulson then swept Bernie at No. 1 singles, 6-1, 6-2.
"Kelly dominated her opponent with her huge serve and forehand," said third-year Vaquero coach Christina Klein. "She is very mentally sound and loves to compete.
"No. 3 Jamaica Buyse had a big battle, prevailing 7-5, 4-6, 6-1. Overall, Jamaica was calm and composed during her match and did a good job controlling the point."
Sydney Paillon had the comeback of the day at No. 6 singles, dropping the first set to Monica Madrid 6-1, then posting 7-5 and 6-4 victories. "That was an incredible comeback by Sydney," said Klein. "She regained control of the match and outlasted her opponent by running down balls and going after every ball."
The Vaqueros will play four of their first five and six of their first nine at home. The defending WSC champs (14-0 last year) will get right into conference play on Tuesday when they host Ventura at 2 p.m.
1. Kelly Coulson, SBCC, def. Maxelle Bernie 6-1, 6-2
2. Torrey Mateljan, RCC, def. Maura Mannix 6-1, 7-5
3. Jamaica Buyse, SBCC, def. Keeley Arendt 7-5, 4-6, 6-1
4. Hannah Stevenson, RCC, def. Joica Buyse 6-2, 6-1
5. Miranda Cardenas, RCC, def. Ashley Allen 6-1, 6-0
6. Sydney Paillon, SBCC, def. Monica Madrid 1-6, 7-5, 6-4